Although the sun rose this morning and will set tonight, there is little else we can hang our hats of certainty on these days. Whether politically, environmentally, socially or biologically – the times they are a changin’.
I’m back in quarantine, returning from the US once again after sifting and clearing out the material remains of my parents’ long lives – a job even Covid could not put off any longer. With that concentrated activity now behind, I’m left feeling a vacuum on the personal level, mirroring the collective sense we all share of not knowing what lies ahead.
Since you too are living in the turmoil of the status quo turned upside down, this newsletter is a (redundant?) personal sharing of some of the tools in my survival kit for 2020.
My strategies for several weeks in the US interacting with lots of people and flying on several different flights (at least one of which turns out to have had Covid-carrying passengers) included:
- wearing a mask at all times in public, and a face shield during travel (and of course maintaining distance as possible, blah blah blah);
- washing hands/using sanitizer so much that I clean the toilet when I pee (a joke, but not far from the truth);
- using Thieves Oil (an essential oil blend purportedly created to ward off The Black Plague – now there was a pandemic for you!) which has anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties. I would rub a little under my nose or put a couple of drops on my mask throughout the day;
- Taking daily doses of Vit C and D, as well as other immune-supporting supplements;
- alternating between a dose of Aconite and Bryonia (you remember these from previous newsletters) both in higher potencies (200C or 1M) once/week.
After returning to Canada early in my quarantine time, at one point I did begin to feel less well; over the next 12 hours I took several doses of high potency (1M) Aconite then moved onto a remedy called Eupatorium Perfoliatum which matched the pain I was feeling in my back. I took several hot baths and also began taking an herbal tincture blend of 11 different herbs with specific anti-viral/anti-bacterial herbs in water 3 times/day. While most of us are familiar with herbs like Echinacea, there are others less known but also effective – and possibly more powerfully synergistic when taken together. Nothing progressed and after 3 days, I felt totally normal.
Did I dodge Covid? Don’t know – but proactively supporting my body with natural remedies felt good and so far has a positive outcome.
But physical support is only one aspect of my self-care. In the aftermath of going through the thousands of photos, clothing, furniture, books, memorabilia and paperwork left behind by my parents, my emotional turmoil has been a surprise. Years of a regular meditation practice continues to be my lifeline in stabilizing all aspects of this rollicking human experience.
And so I end this newsletter sharing a short process you can use to calm your nervous system and center yourself. Any technique that quiets our minds and interrupts habitual physiological responses such as fear, anger or despair, can help us remain more open to life’s joys – which are always present, even in the midst of the unknown. So take a moment, find a comfortable seat, and check it out.
Enjoy your precious life!