Flying has become such a common mode of travel, every day millions of people take to the skies. But frequent or not, we all must cope with certain issues: time zones changes, hours spent breathing recycled air, and adapting to the whims of the heating/cooling system.
To Ease Airplane Travel, 5 Homeopathic Remedies for your Carry-on:
– We aren’t creatures that normally leave the ground. If your heart starts pounding, you break into a sweat and panic just at the thought of flying, take a dose (2 pillules) of Aconite 30C potency well before you even get on board. In your seat before take-off, repeat a dose and remind yourself that far more people are killed crossing the street every year than in an airplane! Once the plane is in the air, find something entertaining to watch – either on the plane’s entertainment system or pre-loaded on your Ipad – and you might even start enjoying yourself! 😀
– Airplanes are full of people and some of them may be sick. Since you can’t avoid breathing recycled air and the viruses coughed or sneezed into it, taking a dose of Oscillococcinum a week before travel and then repeating with another dose right before the trip will lessen your susceptibility to upper respiratory viruses. This remedy is known as a broad-spectrum upper respiratory illness (ie influenza) preventative so especially when flying in the colder months, it makes sense to take this before and during your trip. And once you have arrived, take another dose just to chase away any viral stowaways still lingering in your air passages.
*A consideration regarding the air cooling/heating system on a plane – it can change quickly! So if you are sensitive to drafts, even in the summer consider carrying a lightweight hat and sweater to protect from the blast of air-conditioning vents.
Kali-mur Tissue Salts
– if you or a family member are currently recovering from an upper respiratory bug, flying may cause pain in the ears, especially on descent. This tissue salt helps thin mucus and decongest the ears – so while your nose may run more, the ear pressure will ease up. Take a few pills twice/day for a few days leading up to your flight and then during the flight if you begin to feel fullness in the ear.
*Tissue salts are different than homeopathic remedies, but are usually sold in the homeopathy area of any health food store. Unlike homeopathic remedies, which should not be taken for a long period of time unless you are under the care of a homeopath, tissue salts can be taken daily without risk of aggravation.
No Jet Lag
– this is a combination homeopathic remedy, excellent for long trips where you have to adjust to different time zones. It’s best to move right into the new time zone so if you need to keep yourself awake and alert when your body wants to sleep, take doses as recommended on the package for a day or so – but as you adjust, lengthen the time between doses and stop taking it once you have made the initial adjustment. Too much of any homeopathic remedy, even a helpful one, may eventually over-stimulate, so be conservative and remember that even with this help, your body will need a few days to adjust.
And when it is finally time for bed, the last suggestion below will help your body gently relax into a new pattern of sleeping:
Rescue Remedy for Sleep
– this isn’t technically a homeopathic remedy, but a combination of flower essences. The different essences gently promote relaxation and sleep but without the side effects of pharmaceutical sleeping aids. You can use it on a night flight to try and get some winks or once you are at your destination and ready for a new bedtime. Putting a few drops in a small glass of water and sipping shortly before going to bed will help ease your system and sooth you into readiness for sleep. Keep the glass by your bedside and if you do wake up in the middle of the night, take another sip to return to sleep as quickly as possible.
*Rescue Remedy for Sleep is sold in the homeopathic area of a health food store. It comes in liquid drops, pills, lozenges and even chewing gum – so pick the form that will be easiest for you to take and carry.
All of these remedies are safe for all ages, including infants, and are allowed in your hand luggage (as of June, 2017, anyway). Make sure the bottles/tubes are closed and will not be exposed to strong-smelling substances. If you will be traveling through many airports and x-ray machines (or in long proximity to cellphones), some homeopaths suggest wrapping homeopathic remedies in 2 layers of tinfoil to limit exposure to radiation – but the jury is still out on whether prolonged exposure to radiation harms remedies or not.
Find this information helpful? Then knock your socks off with a complete, personal travel consult for your next trip!
One-hour consultations provide a custom health protocol for YOUR trip with homeopathic methods of disease prevention, treatment and protocols to keep you healthy no matter where you roam! To book your custom travel consult, call 604-671-7863 or email firstname.lastname@example.org today!
And last but not least – have a Great Trip!